Wednesday, April 3, 2013

That Nasty Bug: Colds

LO (Little One, my baby!) and I are both in the beginning stages of a cold right now, given to us lovingly by family staying with us last week. Yay germs. So I'm returning to my medicine cabinet, filled with herbs and essential oils that we can use to heal our bodies before this nasty bug settles in. Right now I'm sucking down spoonfuls of honey and cinnamon, both of which are great antibacterials that kill off bacteria and taste nice.(NOT for children under the age of ONE, by the way). I use 1 TB honey to 1/4 tsp cinnamon. This makes an amazing tea, by the way, and mixing it with Elderberry syrup (comment for recipe and I'll put it in my next post!) or any combination of lemon, ginger, and peppermint makes it even more delightful and powerful.

I'm also diffusing DoTerra's essential oil OnGuard blend, killing any lingering bacteria or viruses that would extend our colds. Alternatively I add peppermint oil or eucalyptus, loosening the mucus in our lungs and making breathing much easier.

Poor LO is congested and goopy and crusty every time he wakes up from a nap, and he's being a fussy little guy. I don't blame him! I constantly apply Serenity to help keep him calm.

Right now I'm wishing I had some Breathe in my pocket. It's on the shopping list, but I haven't had a chance to grab it yet! I'm hoping peppermint and eucalyptus will suffice for now.

If I had Thyme oil, I would be putting that on the bottoms of our feet. Since I don't, Lemon is the next best option, so I'm using that for now. It's nice--it smells like sunshine and is a GREAT spring oil!


In other news, I planted Mint and Thyme in my garden the other day, along with Carnival (rainbow!) carrots, Aloe Vera (SO excited about this one--almost excited enough to intentionally get sunburned just so I can try it out...) and strawberries! Life is good.


What do you use to get rid of nasty spring colds?

No comments:

Post a Comment